Farmington School District 192 and Boeckman Middle school is obligated
to follow the Minnesota Law on School Attendance until age 18. The
Farmington Board of Education and administration believe that it is the
student’s right and responsibility to be present in school.
Middle School encourages daily and regular student attendance. The
school recognizes that school attendance is a shared responsibility by
the student, parent, and school. Students who attend school are best
prepared to perform successfully academically and socially. Research
shows that academic performance and student engagement in school is
directly related to college performance and later success in life.
BMS supports all components within the District Student Attendance Policies and Regulations.
Contacting the School
If a student will be absent, a parent/guardian must call Boeckman Middle School’s attendance line at 651-460-1405 prior
to 8:15 AM each day of the absence. We ask that parents/guardians
provide the reason for the absence at the time they call. The school
determines if the absence falls within the excused or unexcused
parameters. If the school does not receive a call from the
parent/guardian the day of the absence, the student’s absence is
In order to request any of the above stated absences be pre-excused, a parent/guardian must complete the “Request to Waive Unexcused Status of Absence” form. This
can be obtained by clicking on the link or a copy can be provided in
the school office. Please note that this form must be submitted at least
5 school days in advance of the absence.
- Illness – student remains at home or sent home by school nurse (if a pattern of absences result due to an illness, a written medical excuse from the doctor or school nurse can be required by the school)
- Serious illness or death in student’s immediate family
- Death of student’s close friend or relative
- Medical or dental appointments or treatment
- Court appearances occasioned by family or personal action
- Religious instruction not to exceed three hours in any week
- Physical emergency conditions such as fire, storm, or flood
- Official school field trip or other school-sponsored outing
- Observation of religious holiday
- Removal of student prior to a suspension – suspensions are treated as excused absences and students are permitted to complete make-up work
For more information about attendance, please refer to pages 25-27 in our student handbook. Thank you.