Farmington School Counseling Department Mission Statement
To provide effective intervention services that meet students academic and emotional needs as well as assist students with career planning.
What is the Role of a School Counselor?
School counselors are professional educators with a mental health perspective who assist students with a variety of academic, social/personal and career development needs. Comprehensive developmental school counseling programs are essential for creating a caring and supportive environment, where students can achieve optimal personal growth, understand full academic potential and acquire positive social skills.
School Counselors Provide the Following Services
Individual Student Planning
- Goal-setting/decision making
- Academic planning
- Education in understanding of self
- Career planning
- Transition planning
- Individual and small group counseling
- Crisis intervention
- Consultation/collaboration and teaming
- Stress management/relaxation
- Anger management
In order to develop a safe and trusting environment, the school counselors at Boeckman Middle School regard information shared by students as confidential.
However, there are limitations to confidentiality, these limits are:
* A student saying they will harm themselves or others,
* A student discussing a crime he/she was involved in or knew about,
* A student discussing abusive situations
If you have questions about confidentiality, please feel free to contact one of the school counselors.